|Table of contents|
Start a thread using a section like this
What do you think? I think this should be good for general discussions.--Aerik Sylvan 08:41, 7 Apr 2005 (PDT)
- Then use a colon and create replies to the thread right inside the thread. Just use "edit" to create replies.--Aerik Sylvan 08:41, 7 Apr 2005 (PDT)
- Indent further for replies to a reply.--Aerik Sylvan 08:41, 7 Apr 2005 (PDT)
- That sounds good to me. We would use the "comment" tab to start a new topic, correct? I wish we could have a notifier (like when Ryan posted to my user talk page, I was notified of "you have a new message" when I hit the site. --webseo 08:46, 7 Apr 2005 (PDT)
Request for New Category
Hi everyone, I am new here. I am Mark Enos. I would like to propose adding a Pet Accessories category under P in Shopping. Thanks.
- Hi Mark - a Pet Accessories category is fine - but I would put it under "Pets" and put "Pets" under "Home and Garden" personally. --Aerik Sylvan 07:17, 24 Oct 2005 (PDT)
What about Broken Links?
Hi all! What about broken links? Is there an automatic page test for each link? They're the major fault of dmoz & co.
Luigi Bozzo 10,12, 24 Oct 2005 (UTC)
- Are you italian? or do you know italian lenguage?--Sandro kensan 06:34, 24 Oct 2005 (PDT)
- Hi Luigi - I suppose I can write somethign to chck for broken links - have to think on this for a bit. --Aerik Sylvan 07:17, 24 Oct 2005 (PDT)
- Aerik, What about using existing software like Xenu to test for broken links? --SomeWebbedGuy 21:22, 11 Nov 2005 (EDT)
- Update: I now check for broken links each time a listing is added - additionally, if the link redirects to some other link, the listing is changed to that at the time it's added too. Later I may add something that checks for broken links when a listing is viewed. Thanks for the idea! --Aerik Sylvan 23:02, 9 Mar 2006 (MST)
How do you think about site logo? and about page rank?
Many sites have a favicon or a small logo and have page rank, in my opinion is an idea to insert automatically the logo in wikidbeb, PR too. Is it possible and is a good idea?--Sandro kensan 11:12, 25 Oct 2005 (PDT)
- Hi Sandro, I saw the log you designed, and I like it. I'm thinking of having a vote/contest for wikidweb logo - what do you think? Would you mind if I the one you designed up?
- A contest? It's a good idea. I dont understand "Would you mind if I the one you designed up?" but if my logo is fine put the image in the contest. I declare the logo under FDL.
- I think I do not want to put PR on the listings - this is a SEO friendly diretory, but the long term strategy is for it to be a directory in it's own right, and with it's own criteria...
- I understand.
- By the way, I read (after running it through a translator) your article on wikidweb - I liked it, and I'm really glad you like the project. Have you had any reponses form other Italian speaking individuals interested in being editors? --Aerik Sylvan 22:32, 26 Oct 2005 (PDT)
- Sorry, nobody have email me. The article was read 200-300 times, not very much.--Sandro kensan 12:51, 27 Oct 2005 (PDT)
- Hi, can somebody help me fixing this entry: http://www.wikidweb.com/wiki/Wikidweb.com/wiki/special:searcwww.workerscompensationlawfirms.com
The link should go to (link blocked - not on whitelist) Thank you.
How To Add Categories? 06/30/2006
I was going to add a bunch of links in the Politics category:
What I wanted to do was create a sub-category in the Politics category for "News And Commentary" and add a bunch of links like Rush Limbaugh, Al Franken, Sean Hannity, Air America Radio, etc. However, I can't figure out how to create a sub-category. I thought it'd be something like:
[category:Politics] [category:News And Commentary]
So the "News and Commentary" category would be a sub-category of Politics. But that doesn't seem to work. I really don't know if this functionality exists. If it doesn't, it should. Because this wikidweb is a good idea and if it is to grow, it should be as organized as possible.
Also, actually installing some forum software (phpbb for example) would be a better way to communicate than posting on a Wiki page and hoping someone sees it. The software is free and installs easily in 2 minutes or less on any server running PHP.
I'll check back in a few days.
One more thing: It would be nice if there was a "rate this site" sort of voting functionality where users could rate a website according to how useful they thought it was to them. Then if there was a section where instead of the directory being in alphabetical order, if entries were displayed by how high their average vote is. Basically, it would be like a human website ranking system.
- Hello and thanks for your feedback. I've added (back in, actually) some help about categories on the Categories Help Page. I'll think about your feedback for a forum - there are significant pros and cons to consider. Regarding the "Rate this site" functionality - I'm working on it, and actually planned to have implemented it about a year ago :-( but it'll happen soon-ish. I actually have in mind a somewhat different ranking system - probably something like a time-weighted average, or median combined with something. A straight average develops too much momentum over time, and I want to allow the site's ranking to be more easily changed. --Aerik Sylvan 21:14, 30 Jun 2006 (MDT)
How to Delete An Entry
How do you delete an entry?
- This is a function that is restricted to sysops and administrators - what page do you want deleted, and why? Thanks, --Aerik Sylvan 10:35, 4 Jul 2006 (MDT)
Could someone edit the url of my new entry - it is wrong
In a brainless moment, I used the wrong url. I put www.davidharbersundials.com but it should be www.davidharbersundials.co.uk. Thanks.
And I think this is a fantastic idea. Much more interesting than ordinary directories.
- Okay, I moved it to the .co.uk listing. Thanks for the compliment! I think so too. --Aerik Sylvan 08:55, 20 May 2007 (PDT)
UK needs attention
I added UK as a category. I wanted to add it to Europe but it wouldnt let me, so it is in regional. Please put it where you think it should be
I'm new here and familarizing me with the functions. I would like to see a forum category added as well, if it doesn't exist already. Torsten
- Hi and welcome. Perhaps you're looking for Category:Forums? Best Regards,
--Aerik Sylvan 00:45, 9 Jul 2007 (PDT)
I created a new entry and when I entered a link, it was blocked because it is not whitelisted. How do I whitelist my URL?
- There is no need for you to add your url to the whitelist - if you follow the instructions on the help pages (Help:Add an entry), a working url will be created for you. To prevent spam, there are some strict restrictions on which urls are rendered.--Aerik Sylvan 09:32, 12 Jul 2007 (PDT)
Hello! And orphaned categories
I just joined today. I notice that there are some orphaned categories. I have started to get to work on this--for example, I added Coffee & Tea to Food & Beverages. Is there any way to detect these and do something about it? Cazort 10:07, 28 Sep 2009 (PDT)