Description: This site provides information on diabetes; its symptoms, causes, risk factors, tests, types, home remedies, diabetes complications, hypoglycemia, ketoacidosis, insulin, modern and alternative medicine treatments.
|Table of contents|
Diabetes mellitus is a chronic and complex disease, which can affect the entire body. Diabetes is caused by having too much glucose (sugar) in the blood.
- Carbohydrate metabolism : Carbohydrate is broken down in stomach and glucose is separated and realized in to the blood stream and it is consumed by the body cell once insulin is secreted by pancreas.
Diabetes risk factors
Diabetes risk factors are high, if you have family history of diabetes, obese, low physical activity and bad food habits.
Common diabetes symptoms are frequent urination and thirsty, sudden weight loss or gain, blurred vision and heavy hunger.
Common diabetes causes are obesity and over weight, hereditary or family history, stress, hypertension and age.
- Organ defect may causes diabetes : Pancreas, liver and muscle cells are responsible for glucose metabolism and if there is any defect in this organ may end up with diabetes.
Diabetes are broadly classified into 2 groups, they are type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. It is sub-classified into pre-diabetes and gestational diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes | IDDM : If the bodies insulin production is stopped or insufficient production is called as type 1 diabetes caused by autoimmune disorder and it is treated with insulin shots.
- Type 2 diabetes | Insulin resistance : Type 2 diabetes is a disease when the pancreas does not produce enough insulin, or the muscle cells does not able to properly use the insulin.
- Pre diabetes : Pre-diabetes is a condition in which blood glucose levels are marginally higher than normal but not high enough for the diagnosis of diabetes.
Pre diabetes, diabetes type 1, diabetes type 2 and gestational diabetes are all diagnosed only through blood tests. Even if the result is positive, it should be reconfirmed on another day.
- Fasting plasma glucose test FPG : Fasting plasma glucose test measures blood glucose level in blood after 12 to 14 hours of fasting and it is used in diabetes diagnosis.
- Oral glucose tolerance test : The oral glucose tolerance test measures the body’s ability in glucose metabolism and clearing excess glucose in bloodstream.
- Random plasma glucose test : The random plasma glucose test measures plasma glucose levels without fasting or no worry about what you have ate, so called as casual plasma glucose test.
Diabetes help products
The battle against diabetes continues amidst persistent research. To date there is no known cure for diabetes, but conveniently fight with the help of diabetes products.
- Diabetes meter | Glucose meter : Blood glucose monitors help diabetics to keep track of their blood glucose levels wherever and whenever they want.
- Continuous Glucose monitor : A new generation of blood glucose monitoring system, known as continuous glucose monitors, promises to change the way patients and their care providers manage diabetes.
- Insulin pen | Diabetes pen : Insulin pen is like having an old-fashioned cartridge pen in your pocket, instead of a writing point, a needle, and for ink cartridge, an insulin cartridge. You just turn a dial to measure out your dose.
- Insulin pump | Diabetes pump : The insulin pump mimics pancreas and can help people achieve better control. Insulin pumps are computerized devices, about the size of a pager or call-beeper.
- Jet injector | Needle less insulin injection system : Jet injectors are used to deliver dose of insulin, but they do it without using a needle to make a tiny hole. Jet of insulin is forced through the skin with pressure.
- Auto injector | Automatically insert needle and inject insulin : Auto injector has been specially designed for those who have difficulty injecting themselves, it automatically insert the needle and inject the contents.
- Ketone test strip : Presence of ketones in the urine is an indication of the body start metabolizes fat. Both diabetics and persons on low-carbohydrate diets may test their urine for ketones on a daily basis.
Hypoglycemia, also called low blood glucose or low blood sugar, occurs when blood glucose level drops below required levels. Treatment is simple by consuming glucose rich food, it is dangerous if untreated.
- Hypoglycemia symptoms : Symptoms of hypoglycemia low blood glucose may vary because low blood glucose can be mild, moderate, or severe.
- Hypoglycemia causes : Hypoglycemia occurs due to number of reasons, the most common being a side effect of drugs used for the treatment of diabetes.
- Hypoglycemia Test : If you experience the symptoms of hypoglycemia, then confirm it by measuring the glucose level in blood. If it is lower than 70 mg/dl it is an indication for hypoglycemia.
- Hypoglycemia Treatment : Low blood glucose level called hypoglycemia; treatment is to increase the blood glucose level back to normal by consuming glucose rich food.
- Hypoglycemia Prevention : Hypoglycemia prevention is possible if one is strict in their diabetes care or management, also should know the symptoms of hypoglycemia to correct it at mild stage.
Diabetic ketoacidosis is due to no or low insulin secretion, ends up with breakdown of fat for energy and releases ketones. This produces ketoacidosis symptoms mostly within 24 hours.
- Ketoacidosis Causes : Ketoacidosis is due to low or no insulin. Low insulin may be caused by emotional feeling, physical illness, alcohol abuse and improper insulin therapy.
- Ketoacidosis diagnosis test : Ketosis increases blood glucose level, releases ketones and dehydration. So ketosis test involves glucose test, ketone test and eletrolyte test.
- Ketoacidosis Treatment : Ketoacidosis causes dehydration and electrolyte depletion. Ketosis episode is due to low or no insulin. So ketosis treatment starts with insulin therapy and electrolyte replacement.
- Ketoacidosis Prevention : Ketoacidosis is caused by low or no insulin in the body, thus if you are strict in your diabetes management can prevent the diabetic ketoacidosis episode.
Diabetes Insulin treatment
Once diagnosed as type 1 diabetes or even though type 2 diabetes but doctor advised to take insulin shots, then you have to know this information for effective treatment.
- Insulin | Diabetes and Insulin : Insulin a hormone needed for effective conversion of glucose into energy and keep as energetic and maintain blood glucose level.
- Insulin types : Each Insulin type works at a different pace and most people have to use more than one kind to mimic their actual bodies system.
- Insulin Analog : Insulin analog commonly available is provided in the table below. Mostly you need to use more than one kind to suit your individual requirement.
- Insulin Regimen : Depend upon individual body condition, life style, food habits and physical activity their insulin regimen is designed for efficient blood glucose control.
- Insulin Storage and Handling : A Good insulin care starts with how properly the insulin is stored. Insulin does not work to its level when it's stored for too long or is exposed to extreme temperatures both high and very low.
- Ways to take Insulin : Now a days there are more choices to take insulin (Insulin injecting products), even the choices make us confusing to choose the best.
- Insulin therapy : Start your Insulin treatment by following procedure designed as per users experience and manufacturers suggestions for better diabetic care.
- Amylin | Pramlintide : Amylin mimetic - Pramlintide (brand Symlin) is a synthetic amylin hormone, secreted by pancreas along with insulin help to normalize blood glucose levels.
- Byetta | Exenatide : Byetta is only for those with type 2 diabetes who take metformin, a sulfonylurea, or both. Enhance insulin secretion in the presence of high blood glucose.
- Help yourself in Insulin therapy : Hormone Insulin is needed for effective conversion of glucose into energy, if right amount of insulin is not secreted on their own then needs insulin therapy.
Body makes insulin, but the insulin doesn’t control blood glucose called insulin resistance. Diabetes pills are needed to maintain blood glucose level.
- Alpha-Glucosidase Inhibitor : Body makes insulin, but the insulin doesn’t control blood glucose called insulin resistance. Diabetes pills are needed to maintain blood glucose level.
- Biguanide : Biguanide lowers the amount of glucose made by the liver, thus blood glucose levels cannot go too high helps to treat insulin resistance.
- D-Phenylalanine : Starlix (nateglinide) helps the body to make more insulin for a short time after meals, thus limits blood glucose level from going too high after food.
- DPP-4 Inhibitor : Januvia (DPP-4 inhibitor) lowers blood glucose by helping body to make more insulin when needed. Also it stops liver from putting glucose into the blood.
- Meglitinide : Meglitinide (Repaglinide) helps the body to make more insulin right after meals, thus blood glucose rise is limited after eating.
- Sulfonylurea : Sulfonylurea help the body to make more insulin, this excess insulin helps to lower the blood glucose level when needed, especially after food time.
- Thiazolidinedione : Actos, Avandia (Thiazolidinedione) helps the body to utilize the insulin properly, thus blood glucose level stay on target and body cells get the energy they needed.
- Combination Diabetes Pills : Many diabetic patients need more than one type of diabetes pill to control their blood glucose level, thus combination diabetes pill are available for treatment.
Alternative medicine Diabetes
Alternative medicine practitioners believe that a treatment is possible for diabetes by enlivening the pancreatic cells, which are responsible for this illness.
- Diabetes natural herbs : Natural herbs for diabetes believed to control blood glucose, additionally it benefits pancreas, liver, kidney, heart and eye, which are behind the cause of diabetes or may affected in long run.
- Diabetes homeopathic remedies : Diabetes Homeopathic uses very small doses for treatment, so no side effects. It can support in diabetes treatment by stimulating the internal organs.
- Diabetes Yoga : Diabetes yoga can effectively support diabetes treatment, by massaging internal organs particularly activating glandular systems responsible for its cause.
- Diabetes Acupressure : Many patients found diabetes acupressure decreases the severity of their diabetes by normalizing qi flow to organs causing diabetes.
- Diabetes Reflexology : Diabetes Reflexology is simple to do and no side effects it has many benefits not only in controlling blood glucose, but to overall body system.